Sunday, July 26, 2015

Rankings

I am thinking this week for opening the web site. Instead of doing it today, I will do it tomorrow. Famous last words, right? Well, I put in a bit more development on the Rankings page and more general bug fixing. It’s the old writer’s problem: when to release to the publisher. At least women don’t have to worry about when to birth the baby, generally speaking nature times it out automatically. So now the Rankings has not one but four chart systems, all interconnected with the People and Votes on Commit3x. The majority of people will still like the original chart, which shows each individual person compared to all the people and their total votes.

The most innovative chart, shown in the image, is an interconnection diagram. I call it the Network chart, and the lines are individual votes. Each line represents a link between two people, and it gets darker with more votes placed (the sum of either direction- so votes from Bob to Ben added to votes from Ben to Bob). I’m thinking of changing the line color a bit with vote count, and adding lines from outside to represent people in different cities.

The circle in the Network Chart has colored blocks for each individual person. These blocks get bigger for people who won more votes, and people with no votes won’t appear. The Network chart doesn’t show people’s names, because to know who votes for who Intel Reports are used.

What it shows is much more interesting: if cliques are the norm, or if the city is more evenly dispersed with friendly people. The chart below is basically an even distribution of vote winners, with a couple dark lines as exceptions- at the left (9 o’clock) and the bottom (say at 6:30). And of course, if one person gets more of the votes, we can see where they came from- the masses, or a few generous voters.

So the other two charts? I provide four charts total: People, Votes, Rankings and Network. The People chart lists out every person in a vertical bar chart with the number of votes making the bar height (popular people at the left with lots of votes, and vote-less people appear at the far right). The Votes chart shows all the won votes as adding horizontal bars, and puts the most popular people first at the left (hiding the people without votes off the chart). The Rankings chart splits the people into 5 ranking categories, and shows with a pictogram total count in each category. And, finally, the Network chart shows voting patterns, blocks and cliques.


Here is a video where I talk about this a bit: https://youtu.be/InymWP9RUWQ
 

No comments:

Post a Comment