Saturday, July 18, 2015

Business

So it’s time to get to business. Literally. I will set up the corporation for Commit3x and then get the money stuff going in the right direction. We aren’t talking huge amounts of startup funding, other than my precious development time, but we do have to go through the motions that our government has established for our benefit. Commit3x will basically operate and maintain the web site, and collect all the sweet, sweet cash from its success. The corporation will have a life of at least a couple years since I’ll sign it up for some services and accounts that use two years as the basic subscription period.

Of course, Commit3x will be a huge success and so live much longer than that, but lawyers and business thinking is generally pessimistic and risk averse. It’s not that I am risk averse so much, in fact I enjoy taking a good number of large risks. However, in certain specific categories I just haven’t put a lot of risk forward, for whatever reasons. I suspect it is a habitual thing more than a literal risk consideration thing. Moving on.

As a business I need to consider an advertisement. Now I see three real courses forward: (1) that I get friends and the like and it is enough to take off, (2) that I buy normal ads and (3) that I literally pay people money to use the web site. Approach one is the low-hanging fruit that I’ll do no matter what. Approach 2 probably won’t be effective, Commit3x is a bit too far off the beaten path to explain in the 2-5 seconds people might daydream at an ad and anyhow seems like a big downside when viewed in that way. Imagine Facebook or MySpace running an ad before people used the word Blog. Let alone a Web Page that is a Log. So approach three.

The radical approach three does have some clear benefits, if I could pull it off. The mechanics are simple: I give you ten dollars, you buy my five dollar product using your credit card. Imaging a booth at a fair where you get five dollars for playing. But this brings up concerns- while I could reach a critical mass in a smaller audience this way, I would do better to pick specific people and anyhow they might just see it as a way to get money without paying those silly cash fees credit card companies tend to pose. It is sort of a dark method, seemingly a bit evil.

For now I think word of mouth is going to be the solution, and I’m going to start the LLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment